Sunday, July 12, 2020

July 2020 late night thoughts


July 12, 2020

This time last year I remember my parents dropped off Cherie at a cabin up in northern Arizona. Kids camp had been in late June last summer and it was a difficult time for Cherie. I think that this time last summer was when she had to come to grips with the fact that she was dying. She hadn’t had any time to herself to grieve her own inevitable death in the next few months.

Mom and Dad had planned a trip to Greer, AZ. They dropped Cherie off at the cabin, along with her dog, Gracie. This was the first time Cherie had been alone for an extended amount of time before we found out about her cancer. She had just received her papers to legally pursue medical marijuana, if she so desired. I think it was all soaking in and she needed the time at the cabin to process her earthly life. I remember Cherie telling me that she cried for 2 days straight while she was alone. After her passing, I found notes that she had written, with questions about her cancer and what death would look like for her. She did not know what kind of peril was before her, but I do know that it was evident that she rested in her Heavenly Father to take care of her. She had many lifelong dreams that she decided to let go of in July of 2019. Her 2 days alone, knowing that death was inevitable within the next few months, were vital to her acceptance of her understanding the Father’s love for her, no matter what. After her 2 days alone, several friends joined her at the cabin and cooked for her, brought her healthy snacks, and loved on her. This was very important to her. She loved spending time with these friends that made her feel so special. If you are reading this and you were one of the ones that spent time with Cherie at the cabin last summer…thank you. After Cherie’s passing, I got to meet the family that owned that cabin. I didn’t get to thank them for all those years they opened that cabin to my sister. I knew they had felt loss of their own in the past. Saying words of thank you was too much for me at that time since I knew the deep loss they had experienced. But now, I wish to thank that family for giving respite to Cherie each summer. She loved the pines and she loved that cabin. And last summer, she got to bring Gracie, her faithful companion, with her to the cabin. If you are reading this, sweet family that owns that cabin…thank you.

Looking back, I see that July of 2019 was the beginning of the end for Cherie. Her body was tired. Her strength was weak. June had been a long marathon to endure. I had friends that had died within the past few years that dealt with colon cancer. I knew what Cherie’s body was doing. It was time to try to get her to understand that hospice needed to be a part of her journey. That wouldn’t come to pass until August of 2019, but I am thankful that she took that step. She had 8 weeks that hospice was able to help with her pain. I’m thankful for that, as well.

Now that I’ve seen the emotional toll that COVID has brought into my life, as well as the lives of my friends, I am so thankful for God’s timing for Cherie’s passing to occur last Fall. She would have been heartbroken to have to live through the COVID 2020 regulations of not being able to be with her refugee friends. I believe she may have had to watch her ministry fade, due to our current restrictions. I am thankful that she did not have to deal with the days of COVID. It would have been crippling to her heart and soul. I also can’t help to think that this may have been a time that she and I would have agreed politically! We would have been bosom buddies in making sure that we could still meet with groups of people, despite government regulations. I think we would have been of one mind, rebelling against the notion of staying home and not living life to its fullest. Spending time with others was the story of her life, as is mine. There is no way she would be confined to the walls of her own home. Period. My sister and I were similar in that way. I am thankful that COVID was not an added stress on my sister’s life.

Since Cherie passed, I have had at least 3 others in my life that have either passed from cancer or are undergoing treatment. I have taken meals, prayed many prayers for deliverance, if that be God’s will, and I have felt deep sympathy for those going through their own journey of dealing with the brevity of life. Mostly, I have no words. We all experience the process of watching a loved one go through treatment (or eventually pass on) in a different way. Sometimes there are just no words. There is just resting. Resting in our only Hope.

These days of 2020, I find myself re-living the year 2019 in the context of my sister’s illness. As time goes on, I know the memories of those hard days will pass in my mind and I won’t be able to recall the specifics of watching my sister die slowly. Right now, though, I lay awake at nights or I stare out the window of my house for long moments, re-living 2019. It was many good times. And it was many hard times. I am thankful for the hope that leads me as I continue this walk, despite whatever dark times come my way. But the tears are real. The memories are real. The gladness of rest in my Savior is real.


No comments:

Post a Comment