Saturday, December 8, 2018

December 8th, 2018

I should probably let you all know that the last post was a very difficult one for me. I have spent the last 2 days coming to grips with the fact that sitting down to write another post means I have to face the realities of what is in front of me. The thought of putting my hands on a computer keyboard means I have to think about the things that are ahead. It means I have to put my hope and trust in Christ alone for a situation I have no control over and, after a true evaluation of my heart, I've decided I'm not always up to facing the realization that I'm not in control.

 I have also found it will be unrealistic for me to post about my sister daily. Since I have come back home I have had to play catch up on my seasonal chocolate business, as well as spend time with my own family, see my daughter's play, plan meals for the coming week, and try to keep decorating for Christmas!

The last two days at the hospital have been a concentration of doctors and nurses visiting Cherie, trying to help her shake the nausea that she's been experiencing.

 On Wednesday night, just after I left for Phoenix, Cherie got to have some broth, jello, and water! She was so excited to have some food by mouth again! It had been one week since she had any food or water. Any liquids she had were given intravenously. After an eventful evening Wednesday night, as well as into the early hours of the morning, Cherie finally got a private room again. The roommate situation was not...should we say...ideal. Thankfully Cherie had a nurse that helped her get a private room at 3am in the morning. The nurse moved all of Cherie's stuff, single handedly, and even hung her Christmas lights in her new, private room!

The best part of this whole post is that Cherie got to go home today!!!! The nurses and doctors were able to get her nausea under control beginning last night, so they could release her today! She is home, tucked into a bed at my parents' house with her dog, Gracie, at her side. She will continue walking as much as possible (whether she wants to or not) now that she is home and she will get yummy, homemade, nutritious protein shakes that my mom will make for her daily. She is allowed to have all kinds of soft foods now, from ice cream to chicken noodle soup and even some slices of turkey or whatever she would like...as long as it's not salad or anything irritating to her system.

The biggest item on the agenda is to keep Cherie walking several times a day so she will heal well from the surgery. The next item on the agenda is a simple surgery to put in a port cat (also know as a port catheter) so that all medications, blood draws and chemo treatments can be hooked up in one place, without having to be poked and prodded every hour of every day! It's a simple outpatient surgery and it will be very helpful for everything that's ahead of her.

As you are waiting for the next post, you can assume that Cherie is gaining strength, walking, and eating real food as well as enjoying a bed that is not in the hospital. She has moved in with my parents for now and they are the best care givers anyone could ever ask for!

The road ahead is still very much unknown. Once Cherie gains her strength back we do know they will want to start chemotherapy ASAP. We also have yet to learn about some molecular tests that have been done on the cancer, which will help the oncologist develop a plan of action.

At this point Cherie would love to have visitors, but everything will have to be scheduled on a day to day basis, depending on how well she feels each day. Although Cherie would love to have a room full of people that love her, there are some restrictions that come along with visiting. If you are able to get an appointment to visit her  (see below) please don't wear any cologne, perfumes or lotions. These sorts of smells tend to make her nauseous.

There are plans in the works for the body of Christ to take action in helping my parents care for my sister. Since I don't live in the same town, I am limited in helping out physically with the daily list of necessary things my parents will need to help Cherie through this season of her life. I have learned a lot from friends that have been in the very same shoes of having to care for a loved one facing cancer treatment and, in a weird way, I am thankful for that. I have many ways you will be able to help. Plans are being formed and prayer lists are being made, as we learn more about this road that is inevitable. I know many of you want to help in some way. Sit tight. I will communicate many needs that you all will be able to help with in due time. Right now, please pray for Cherie's healing to be quick so she can start treatment as soon as possible.

In my last post I wrote that I would post a list of prayer requests and praises. My emotions clouded much of what I should have written as a follow up to that post. I have needed to refocus my eyes on the only Hope that is in front of me. I pray that I will be able to convey all prayer requests and praises in a post tomorrow, on the Lord's day, one of rest and reflection. My family and the Gray family do covet your prayers.

If you would like to visit Cherie, appointments need to be made on a day to day basis, depending on how she is feeling physically. Tomorrow I will write about how you can visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment